Thursday, May 26, 2011

What's In A Breed?

Is your dog similar to the description of the breed? My dog is a Terrier mixed w/Shibu Ina. So I went looking up the breed to see if it fit Chazz. Oh my goodness, does it ever! It's funny, because I realized had I known from the beginning - I might have passed on adopting this particular dog and kept on looking. What a sad thing that would have been, let me tell you. Chazz is my best buddy.


See, I learned that while they are smart, they are difficult to train, and not recommended for a first time dog owner.  That may have stopped me right there. They are strong-willed, especially if they sense the alpha dog / pack leader (that would be Me) is not strong. They don't like to share their food, toys, treats, etc. They can be somewhat aloof at times, not unlike a feline. They are "escape-artists" - I saw that the first full day I had Chazz and left him alone in the side yard for a few hours. Yep, he squeezed out between a wooden gate and a stucco wall for goodness sake!


In addition to those characteristics, Chazz is affectionate, lovable, loyal, fiercely protective, funny, and most often a joy to be around. More on this subject in future posts.

How do you think your dog's breed measures up??

2 comments:

  1. Gulliver hits the breed descriptions (all 4 of his little mutt self) because all say loyal, high-energy, and loving. As well as being kind of an idiot. Well, they don't say that, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt,thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to getting a pic of Gulliver to post. :)

    ReplyDelete