Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Little Memorial Day Excitement.. Not The Good Kind

Well, Chazz & I hope you all had a good holiday weekend. We had a little excitement around here yesterday, unfortunately. Chazz had been up for an hour or so, had breakfast, went out and checked his backyard.  All the usual routine.  I decided to go out on the front porch to read a book & relax. So I took Chazz's mat, a water bowl, one of his "babies" and set him up there as well. 

At a certain point, I was looking at Chazz straight on in the face and realized something was wrong. One of his eyes looked strange.  Upon closer examination, it looked like his eye was bloodshot, and not sitting correctly.  I started to panic, and get really scared. He was acting strangely too. Moving in a odd way.  Anyway to make a long story a little shorter; I decided to take him to the emergency clinic.   I'd never been to a pet emergency clinic before.  It's just like the human emergency room. Apparently over a holiday, pets get into as much mischief as humans too, but probably without the influence of alcohol. The lady came to the window and I told her about Chazz's eye.  She started jotting down notes on a form. Then turned it towards me and told me to fill the rest of it out & sign. She then told me it was going to be $90.00 to be seen. 
I said okay and she walked away. I was holding Chazz in my arms, which is unusual for him, he likes to be mobile all on his own. There was a big sign above the window that read, "No Billing. Payment Due When Services Rendered". I took the form from the clipboard, folded it, put it in my purse, and walked out. I don't know what all those other people in the waiting room thought. I just knew I didn't have the money to have him seen.

I put him back in the car and we went home. I was supposed to be getting together at a friend's house for a barbecue. I called, completely upset, feeling like a lousy adopted dog mommy, and told him what was going on. I said I didn't want to leave Chazz, and thought I better stay home with him. My friend who has 2 dogs, 2 cats, ferrets, fish, et. al. told me to come down anyway and bring Chazz with me. If I was going to be upset I might as well do it among friends, instead of home alone imagining the worst.


That's what we did. Chazz seemed to hold his own and I'm glad I went. My friend had a brand new toy for Chazz and he even got him to eat a little piece of hot dog.

It is now Tuesday and I'm trying to scrape together the money to take Chazz to his regular vet. The exam there is only $38.00, and at least then I will know what is going on, and how severe it is.   It may be Cherry Eye. I hope not because the recommended treatment for that is surgery.  Will update when I know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment